Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: dtobias
Date/Time: Tue, August 7, 2001 at 9:47 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V5.0 using Windows dows
Subject: .name dispute process

Actually, I've read the dispute procedure rules in detail, and in fact an individual is allowed to challenge a defensive registration on the grounds that his/her personal name is the same as the name he/she is trying to register.  To win such a challenge, you might have to supply proof such as a birth certificate or other ID, but if you can establish your identity you would win.  Three successful challenges to a defensive registration of an entire first or last name will result in the cancellation of the defensive registration altogether.  And the challenge process is on a "Loser Pays" basis, so it won't cost you if you win.

I agree that having a defensive registration system for trademark owners at all in a domain intended exclusively for personal use was silly, but such is the political power of the trademark lobby that they were compelled to have one anyway.

I'll certainly keep an eye on the outcome of the challenge cases that develop once .name is deployed, and will make a big ruckus if the panelists routinely deny personal registrations even with proof that it's the person's real legal name if they happen to resemble a trademark.

Link: Dan's Domain Site

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy