Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: challenge
Date/Time: Fri, August 17, 2001 at 5:35 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT 5.0
Subject: "Domebase" here is why Afilias chose to ignore your solution

I got it all figured out and I have to admit those guys at Afilias are Criminal Geniuses.

They will in fact challenge 99% of all Sunrise applications and they will happily pay the $295 to WIPO and here is why:

Over 90% of the generic English keywords that count have been registered during Sunrise. Of those less than 1% are actually Trademarked.

Afilias didn't care much about the $150 or so it collected and will most likely keep from the Sunrise cheats, it stood to gain much much more.

For every $295 they pay to challenge, they will get $10,000 or more back in new application fees for Landrush-2 or the "big bonanza" as I would like to think of it.

Landrush will be a bust, all of us will end up with whatever is left from 2nd and 3rd tier names. After we would have forked thousands in application fees for a pipe dream.

Early in the next year, Afilias will run the main event a highly anticipated widely followed, greatly expected land grab for some of the most desirable web addresses to be had.

By then they will have signed up 100 more registrars and the publicity generated will be so much so that housewives who have never touched a computer let alone know what a domain name is, will be breaking the bank to get in on the greatest lottery this side of the PowerBall.

If Landrush this time around has 100,000 pre-registrations, Landrush-2 will have 50 times as many.

WIPO will make a killing, every man and his dog will become an ICANN accredited registrar and Afilias will make an absolute guaranteed killing.

Of course they ignored the "domebase" solution and they masterfully made all of us focus on the dumb@$$ cheats of Sunrise, when all along they had them in their cross-hairs.

I'm willing to bet the farm on the following 2 predictions:

1. LANDRUSH-2 WILL BE A .BIZ LIKE PAY-TO-PLAY LOTTERY.
2. MR. LA PLANTE HAS A JUICY PERFORMANCE BASED COMPENSATION CLAUSE IN HIS CONTRACT.

Domebase you've done a great job, unfortunately we were all played like a bunch of dopes.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy