Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: DomeBase
Date/Time: Sat, August 18, 2001 at 7:36 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 5.0
Subject: Hi richyhenderson

Your proposal seems very similar to mine and I think either would be a whole lot better than the way things are unfolding now.  It is late and I am tired, but I do think that there might be one or two differences...

My proposal explicitly gives a Land Rush winner the right to challenge and keep a name (for a modest fee) without claim to trademark rights after the end of the challenge period.  (Land Rush winner would only be able to successfully challenge a Sunrise Squatter.  Legit trademark holders need not fear.)

I believe that your proposal gives the Land Rush winner the right to get the name after the end of the challenge period (for free) if it has been challenged and is not held by a legit trademark holder.  In your words -- "This name is taken, but in the event of a Challenge succeeding, and no other Trademark holder claiming it, it is reserved for you as first reserve."

Difference #1: How would it be determined that no Trademark holder claims it without an end-point challenge process? 

Difference #2: Do you really mean "other" trademark holder?  The word "other" sounds like the Land Rush winner needs have trademark rights on a name to get it -- which leaves us in our current pickle for non-trademarked names.

Difference #3: If we are certain that Land Rush winner can challenge name (for net $75), then either proposal gives Land Rush winner right to challenge if he/she wishes.  This right is more explicit in my proposal, but if we are certain then the two proposals are very similar in this respect.

Keep at it.  Let's try to get something like this activated before the Land Rush period.  I would welcome getting in touch if you would like to send me an e-mail at webmaster@DomeBase.com. 

I should add that "my" proposal really builds on ideas of other folks, I'll work on better attribution next week.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy