Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: donstauffer
Date/Time: Sat, August 18, 2001 at 7:38 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 5.0
Subject: How about TLD just for trademarks?

I don't know if .TM, .SM, etc. are already in use as ccTLDs, but if not, why couldn't they be opened up for trademark use, freeing the other domains of the need for sunrise periods and the contention between trademark holders and "ordinary people"?  I see no reason for McDonalds, for instance, to be privileged to have complete control of McDonalds dot everything.  That's what .COM was supposed to be for; so OK, lots of trademarks are already taken in .COM by non-trademark-holders, so too late there, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have a domain or domains specifically for trademarks.

If I understand correctly, you can have a trademark in one state in the US that's the same as someone else's trademark in another state, so .TM might have to be in some way further subdivided by state, but that's only 50 (or 51 if there's a subdivision for trademarks with the same owner in all states).  International trademark considerations might expand that further.  Maybe making use of subdomains of the ccTLDs and the TLDs for the states would work:

McDonalds.TM.US
JoesDiner.TM.NY
etc.

That has the added advantage that the ".TM." tells people not to infringe!

Has this idea been considered?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy