Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Garry Anderson
Date/Time: Sun, August 19, 2001 at 11:25 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: Cybersquatters - REVISED

You say, "It is those cybersquatters as well that make the ordinary registrants miserable."

Every common word is trademarked - most many times.

People have been clever and got these common words, as domains - it is their Intellectual Property.

Big business decided it wanted to steal these words from people - even though these words are NOT just used solely by them.

For them to claim it solely as their OWN - when it is word shared by others - is an abuse of 'unfair competition' law.

This is why they do not want a solution - so they can abuse their trademarks.

Cybersquatters was a term invented to prejudice other people against those that bought domains - to make it easier to take the legal owners Intellectual Property away.

I have WIPO.org.uk - the United Nations World Intellectual Property Organization have WIPO.org

Would you call me a cybersqatter?

What about coined phrases - say if someone got Firestonetyre.com to complain of 174+ deaths blamed on tyre blowouts?

Looks to me, like corporate greed stopped the recall of these tyres for quite some time - so is corporate manslaughter.

Domain names are not trademarks - ask Paul Mockapetris, DNS creator.

Nor can they be - thousands of may share the same word, words or initials.

Trademarks identify the source of goods or services - if not distinctive from others, then it is declared invalid.

To 'squat' means not to have legal claim - even though it was the legal owners idea to register this word first.

Trademarks are so consumer can identify the source of goods or services.

***Now if I claim to be WIPO ® or Firestone Tyres ® - then that would be illegal***

THIS IS WHY THEY DO NOT WANT .REG - SO THEY CAN ABUSE THEIR TRADEMARKS

Open your eyes - it is all a load of bull* - they know solution.

Link: WIPO.org.uk

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy