Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Srana
Date/Time: Sun, August 19, 2001 at 3:17 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0b using Windows 98
Subject: Evidence of Sunrise Fraud

If you access ukreg.com (the real company is fasthosts.com) and follow the .info pre-reg links as a member, (as I am) you get the following information.

"During the Sunrise Period:
Anyone can apply for a .info domain name. Your application may optionally be accompanied by the details of trademark which corresponds exactly with your chosen domain name."

Further on they say:-

"Due to the trademark restrictions we would recommend that you only apply for generic domain names during this period, i.e. 'sport.info' or 'internet.info'. Speculative registrations that infringe trademark holders, e.g.: 'mcdonalds.info' could result in your domain name being revoked at a later date without refund of your registration fee."

I contacted ukreg and fasthosts.com, but they gave me no reply.  So I contacted Tucows and told then one of their partners was giving out false information.  Their reply was:-

"Please refer to the information posted at
http://www.opensrs.org/dotinfo_info.shtml"

What use was that? Why did Tucows not contact fasthosts and it's other partner companies to stop this?  They were in charge of setting up the registry in the first place yet submitted false trademark submissions themselves via their members.  If you can't trust the people in charge of the registry to get it right, who can you trust?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy