Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Garry Anderson
Date/Time: Fri, August 24, 2001 at 9:15 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: Flawed Logic

>Look you lot, I see few people here saying anything that supports anyone one but themselves and their own selfish motives, so what if some dickhead has claimed whatever.info under a false trademark.  I think it stinks, but some of you would wait until the landrush to grab the the same name and say hard luck to the guy who really does have a real trademark claim on it.

Leon, to declare my interests:

I do not have claim on even one .info or .biz domain. I first was angered at the injustice of claims that buying common word domains was 'cybersquatting'. After looking at all the arguments for nearly two years, I now see the whole big picture.

Millions of TLDs are being sat on by ICANN. They are the worlds greatest 'cybersquatters' (to use their propagandist definition of word). Analogy - What sort of world would it be if we only had two hundred or so towns - each allowed only one High Street (Americans may call it Main Street)?

Your logic in post is fatally flawed.

ALL words are trademarked - most many times over.

You are saying people should not get any .info domains, at all.

You say that, because it will be 'hard luck' on one of any number of big businesses - who happen to use same word.

Therefore, people are only allowed to get domain after checking all 200+ countries trademark databases.

Perhaps they could get a (totally new made up word).info?

>Most of the world does not know what is happening, but then, that is what some of you are banking on!

When somebody thinks of an idea before somebody else - it is called 'Intellectual Property'.

You may have heard of 'Intellectual Property' - the term is used by big business, to screw the maximum profit from us all.

>I don't like this TLD business anymore than you do, ICANN stinks of corruption and so do the companies that are rolling out the new TLDs, will it ever be any different, no!

This is the common bond that binds us all together - the fight against corruption and lies.

The only way to solve the problem, is to bring in new CLOSED TLDs - e.g. .REG

Not one person in authority has ever denied that this will totally avoid 'consumer confusion', 'trademark conflict' problems and stop anybody 'passing off'.

It will also enable 'free speech' and stop big business using their trademark for 'unfair competition' against others using the same word.

Pure Common-sense Logic.

This is the truth they hide.

Link: WIPO.org.uk

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy