Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: rachelmacgregor
Date/Time: Wed, August 29, 2001 at 2:39 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Subject: Has the Afilias CEO broken the rules and robbed the US Government?

Hal Lubsen owns FORTKNOX.com but this does NOT give hime the right to "registrar reserve" the .info version. To do this he had to satisfy all three criteria listed below in the ICAAN-Afilias TLD Agreement:

Registration Start Up Plan - 11th May 2001

5. REGISTRAR DOMAIN NAMES

Each Authorized Registrar that enters into a Registry-Registrar Agreement with Registry Operator at least ten (10) days prior to the beginning of the Land Rush Period shall have the right to register up to ten (10) second level domain names ("Registrar Registrations") in the Registry TLD, provided that the desired Registrar Registration (i) was not reserved or previously registered, (ii) is a trade name, trademark or service mark of the Authorized Registrar, and (iii) is identical to a name registered by the Authorized Registrar in either the .com or .net TLD.

Note it says AND (iii)....  not OR (iii)....

otherwise (i) could be appended with the same OR, which would mean Hal could have claimed any name in the dictionary.

NO - he had to satisfy all three of these criteria: so did Signature Domains for NUDES.info

My question is: is "FORT KNOX" a tradename, trademark or service mark of DomainBank?

If not, has the CEO of Afilias ALSO robbed a Landrush customer (or the US Government) of the right to this name?      

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy