Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: DomeBase
Date/Time: Wed, August 29, 2001 at 10:24 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Windows NT
Subject: reactions welcome to "DomeBase Proposal B" -- 8/29/01

"DOMEBASE PROPOSAL B" (new on 8/29/2001)

1: Hold "Land Rush I" as originally scheduled.

2: Registrars do not submit names in "Land Rush I" that are registered in the Sunrise Period.

3. After Land Rush I, registrars give their customers the option of: (3a) canceling a name not submitted in Land Rush I and receiving any applicable refund (none, partial, or complete depending on registrar-specific agreement); or (3b) having a name submitted in Land Rush II after the end of the Sunrise Challenge period without additional payment.

4. All names registered in the Sunrise Period are entered into Land Rush II after the end of the Challenge period.

5. In addition to people whose names are postponed from Land Rush I, new people can also pre-register names in Land Rush II. However, registrars who accepted "only one submission per name" for Land Rush I must keep that policy for Land Rush II to avoid "bait and switch" for Land Rush I pre-registrants.

6. The "winner" of a name for Land Rush II: (6a) gets that name for a registration fee if the name has been successfully challenged by Afilias and not taken by someone with legitimate trademark rights; (6b) gets the name for a registration fee if it has been voluntarily canceled by the Sunrise registrant; or (6c) can Sunrise challenge and get a non-trademarked name for a subsidized challenge fee without having to show a trademark right in the name (which would be impossible by definition).  In this manner, legitimate trademark holders would not lose any names, but sunrise squatters on non-trademarked names would face challenge by either Afilias or the Land Rush II winner.

7. Hold a big party for all the contributors to the ICANN TLD forum, the leaders of ICANN, folks at Afilias, registrars, LandRush applicants, and the general public -- with lots of high-energy organic beverages, live music by Sting, WestBam, and other groups selected through a round robin process, rave dancing, and frisbee golf.  Even invite people who are "facially unqualified." :)  

Link: DomeBase.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy