Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory W. Krajewski
Date/Time: Fri, September 7, 2001 at 10:29 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Subject: Image Online Design's application was "right on target" and visionary.   Here is why...

I don't want to rehash the past, but clearly Dr. Jon Postel's wisdom for uploading new TLDs was something that should not be overlooked (and should be seriously considered in the next TLD round):

1.  He wanted potential registries to prove they had running code.  (IOD) has done that.

2.  He wanted potential registries to show there was support for their requested TLD.  (IOD has enough supporters from around the globe to qualify as legitimate support).  IF this were a critiera used last November this certainly would have eliminated dot pro, and dot museum, and dot aero. 

3.  He wanted registries to show they were "fit" for the job (IOD has maintained a registry going on 5 1/2 years!!! In Internet time that is hard to even imagine)

4.  He wanted registries to show they had the financial wherewithal to run a registry (IOD has shown they are financially stable in that they have operating cash, and the necessary backing if approved.  Also I think any accountant in the world could see that IOD’s application was responsible when it came to fee structures...compared to the other applications)

One thing that Dr. Jon Postel could not have foreseen is the "TM" protection aspect of domain names.  In fact he flat out didn’t think domain names should be trademarked.  Nonetheless things change, and commerce changes therefore ICANN asked the respective applications to show them a plan to protect TM holder’s rights.  Image Online Design did, and if their plan were used with the dot info upload I venture to guess it would have worked like clock-work.  With Image Online Design’s plan, Microsoft (for example) would have been able to request a "hold" be put on Microsoft.web once proper documents could show they held the TM.  The legitimate TM holders would have been satisfied, as well I suspect the non-TM holders alike would have.  This method is what I call a visionary!!!

Gregory W. Krajewski
President
VisitBlackHills.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy