Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cgrady
Date/Time: Sat, September 8, 2001 at 9:57 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows NT 4.0
Subject: A combination of over 14 years of experience and expertise on this subject

Besides the fact that the author of the presentation (Professor  Froomkin ) is a Professor of Law at U. of Miami and actively teaches Internet, Trademark, and Intellectual Property Law ... my original point was that there are many others, who do not participate in these forums that feel this way.

There is not greater proof of this than what happened during the At-Large election. The general public expressed their dissapproval and distrust of ICANN when they elected persons who were openly anti ICANN during the At-Large election process to the board of directors.

>> Maybe this slide presentation was designed to be displayed with accompanying lecture material (in which the assertions were defended), but somehow I doubt that.

I doubt that too.

>> The ICANN process of meetings has not changed and is not going to change- why would it? If it DOES change, it will be at the whims of ICANN. You know that as well as I do, now deal with it.

I agree and didn't say anything to the contrary.

>> Every day in this country, two sets of lawyers go up against each other arguing over who's right and wrong- and usually the lawyers fighting for the wrong know it. Of course, they act like it's right anyway because hey, it's what they do, it's what everyone expects them to do, and it's how they get paid.

I agree 100% (refer to point at beginning)

I'd be surprised if Mr. Froomkin didn't have a personal stake in this.

Alternatively, there is no evidence to support that he does have a "stake in this". Additionally, it depends on what one considers a "personal stake",. Believe it or not, there are people in this world who do things for reasons other than money or personal gain. Granted, the law profession is not the first place one usually looks to find these qualities.

My point was that even outside of the active participants in these forums the majority of people have less-than-kind things to say about ICANN and few who have anything positive to say. These people do not feel this way for no apparent reason.

Regards,
Chris Grady
President
Vieodata, Inc.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy