Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: DomeBase
Date/Time: Mon, September 10, 2001 at 5:14 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Windows NT
Subject: IDR registry and PSI-Japan

I believe that the following are true.  Please let me know if any of you experience otherwise:

1. I believe that IDR Registry is cancelling Land Rush pre-registrations for names taken during sunrise and offering coupons/credits toward other pre-registrations or registrations for the non-refundable pre-registration fees.  My preference would be that they give customers the option of keeping pre-regs for possible Land Rush II, but I can understand their doing what they are doing because Afilias has said zip about any Land Rush II.  On balance, I think that what IDR is doing is more fair to consumers than registrars who give no refund or credit or anything.

2. I believe that PSI-Japan is placing an authorization hold on your credit card for each name to be submitted during Land Rush, but not charging and refunding like some registrars are doing.  Personally, I think that this is a reasonable compromise between consumer interest and registrar interest -- between the one extreme of registrar having no downpayment or credit (and possibly being stuck if customer has bad credit card collection at time of Land Rush) and the other extreme of registrar collecting full payment in advance and refunding (wherein customer is at risk if registrar gets into financial trouble or goes bankrupt).  I believe that, to their credit, PSI-Japan is trying to protect Land Rush pre-registrants by not submitting taken during Sunrise in case there is a Land Rush II.

For my two cents, based on my experience with these registrars, I think that both are reasonable and fair.... doing the best they can with this wrecked up Surise/Land Rush business.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy