Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: einman
Date/Time: Tue, October 2, 2001 at 1:12 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows NT 5.0
Subject: This is stability?

I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but the .info rollout just has me in stitches.

One reason that ICANN denied a bunch of applications for top level domains is because of concerns about feasibility and stability of the internet.  So they brought us .info.

ICANN has referred to alternate TLDs (e.g. New.net) as being a "cute trick" and has criticized them at every turn.  They claim that with an ICANN backed domain, "its guaranteed its going to work", from "anytime, anyplace, ..."

Of course, that doesn't apply to any of the registration process.  Nor to the sites themselves, I mean, at least afilias.info has been unreachable of and on in the last few days due to network traffic.

They also have stated that there is "no need" for more domains at this time.  That's an interesting position considering that nearly all desirable .info names were full before public registration commenced.  Of course, everyone with fraudulent trademarks got their requests fulfilled with no problems.  Will those people be fined or something for fraud?  No.

I'm not trying to plug New.net, but I don't like seeing them criticized when they are responding to a genuine need for domain names that ICANN doesn't want to provide.  ICANN criticizes new.net because they require a plug-in to use, but then that's only because ICANN won't allow their domains into the A root.  It isn't a technical limitation on new.net's part.  And it isn't like they didn't apply through the standard process; they and many other people paid their $50,000 application fee, but were rejected.

Perhaps if we banned domain name speculation, all these problems would go away.  That'll never happen.  Is it too much to ask to be able to have a presence on the internet without having to fight with people over a name they won't even use?  .biz is a step in the right direction, but we need to see more rules like that.

The world needs these new general domains.  Look at what we have now?  .info, which has been mostly snapped up by domain name speculators before it was ever open to the general public.  Can anyone say that we do not need more?

If this is the future of the internet, I am worried indeed.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy