Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: rachelmacgregor
Date/Time: Sat, October 20, 2001 at 11:07 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Subject: "The Internet Parliament" to govern ICANN

One proposal would be that anyone who has a website should have a vote towards an Internet Parliament. This would give, say, Coca Cola no more influence than my granny.

Multiple website owners would still only get ONE vote.

The Internet Parliament should be made up of representatives of all countries, arguably with appropriate weighting given to countries according to the scale of internet activity.

This Internet Parliament would have the right to HIRE and FIRE any ICANN member.

Of course I can see plenty of difficult arguments : what about countries where dictatorships exist? Could we rely on the authenticity of Chinese web-users in the context of state-suppression of unpopular sites? Would sex sites rule the world?

But in reality, with a process of evolution, I could see the vast bulk of internet users over-ruling the crackpots. I could see a rational group of representatives (non-paid) acting benevolently in the interests of the whole world internet community.

What a great organisation that would be!

They would say to ICANN: "Answer these 50 questions!" and they'd have to answer satisfactorily, or they'd be fired.

What was it Shakespeare said?

"We are such stuff as dreams are made of..."

If enough people conceive something strongly enough, it can come about.

Rach

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy