Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory W. Krajewski
Date/Time: Fri, October 26, 2001 at 1:57 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Subject: Some facts.....

"Web" is THE most widely recognized word in the world (behind coke)...It literally means the "internet"....Having said that, you would agree, that Image Online Design's dot web would be just as popular as a TLD, if the word is that universal.  It is why Afilias went after it, and Neulevel changed it's name for it....both losed...

Dot Net is the ugly step child to dot com and always will be...Unforunately it got labeled this during the internet explosion. It is the reason why you don't see a lot of commercial dot net domain names out there.  Plus, a lot of them were purchased so people could "protect" the dot com version of their name (a.k.a The Marketing tool of the 90's).  I see a major slump in sales of dot net and org coming here real soon if it hasn't happed already, especially with dot info out...(see below)

Image Online Design's dot web registry has plenty of name-space available, which will make it very attractive to clients who would like own a decent business name.  Image Online Design's Dot web is not limiting a TLD either.  The chinese know what "web" means just as the Russians do....Net, biz, etc on the otherhand do have other meanings which have further limit their domain use....One thing (Americans) have got to realize when we say, "net is a good name because it means "network", is that "net" means other things, in other languages.  Just as biz does...Ask anyone from the U.K...

These different meanings of words will play a big role in the next round....I think that is why you will never see a dot law for instance...It is mostly a term used by US americans....That is one big problem new.net has with it's 20 or so english TLDs...Dot Shop for instance doesn't have the same connotation as it would in The Soviet Union for instance....Dot web on the otherhand, literally means "web" TLD in every language....It is of no coincidence that Image Online Design uses http://www.webtld.com

Now about dot info.....I will agree with you on dot info.  It is a nice TLD....I look forward to the day the marketing dept at Afilias kicks things into high gear.  NOTE:  One drawback to dot info is not everyone will be able to use a dot info for their online business....That is why dot com will remain the "domain" for businesses...Businesses have the most visible websites....and as the domainance of the domain grows, Network Solutions, et al will continue to control things....Afilias  (dot info) is not going to provide the necessary competition (since Network Solutions and Register dot com each make up 5% of the board)...Dot biz (Neulevel---is affiliated with CORE---CORE has 5% ownership in Afilias) won't either...That is where Image Online Design (dot web) comes in....

Do you see why I support them?  No...Yes...???  All of you seem to be concerned about the DNS.  Do you understand what is at stake here??  If not, we might as well kick back and watch things unfold....

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy