Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: spot
Date/Time: Fri, November 9, 2001 at 1:57 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: Yes, I have considered these shortcomings.

This was my first argument I used when disagreeing with my friend- where would the browser go to: skilful.com, skilful.net, skilful.co.uk etc? And as you rightly cite, how would it distinguish between differently spelt words with the same pronunciation?

At leat the second concern here would not be a problem with Realnames' Keywords, since they are typed. But as to which tld would get the keyword, we have more ip issues. And would someone with a tld have more claim over it than someone who did not have a matching tld, but had a site on the subject. Add TMs into the equation and you have an even greater mess than WIPO have caused already.

Personally I think those keywords are flawed. They cannot compare with search engines. It's just another scam that Microsoft/ browser creators want to cash in on. But I don't think it will go far, as the end result to the user is inferior to existing methods they are happy with like Google.

I do wonder what the next evolutionary shift after domains in ters of indexing worldwide info will be. Who knows, maybe VR will catch up and you'll ask a virtual person/guide a question and (s)he'll give you a selection of alternatives...

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy