Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory W Krajewski
Date/Time: Sat, November 10, 2001 at 4:35 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Subject: Honest Question:  How many open TLDs do we need???

I am obviously a "partisian" dot web supporter, however something happened last night that made me think:  How many TLDs do we need???

Let's use my MountRushmore.info example...

If we have dot web, dot shop, dot biz, dot info, dot com, dot net, dot org....

Which MountRushmore will you as a consumer visit:

MountRushmore.net
MountRushmore.com
MountRushmore.info
MountRushmore.org
MountRushmore.web
MountRushmore.biz

What I see happening with those I am in competition to get these kind of relevant domains (for my business) is that one or two are probably enough......I will of course get a few more, with hypens, etc, for "search engines" but when is enough, enough...

I realize the internet is not all about commerce.  One of the best things that is often overlooked is the information that you can get without having to go to the library to get it....But how many times can you "copy" the english language before it comes not relavent...Whereby we would almost have to create a new, "unique" form of word identification to stand apart from other domain names...My example of MountRushmore (copied 6 times) is where we are at right now...

Do we want a 100 Mount Rushmore's????  Can a business, like MyCompany.com last if 99 other MyCompany's exist??

Don't think of the speculation aspect of this dilemma, but from a pure open realistic standpoint...and I think you will see that we probably have enough TLDs.....It's kind of like the "Mirror Maze"...With so many domain names that look the same, which is the "real" one...

What I fear is the "lack of use" of newer TLDs....That factor will play into the success of a domain (for sure)....with more of the same, the chance of finding an "operable" website will go down...Call this "Krajewski's Law of TLD integration", that for every new TLD that comes out, the rate of "Error 404" messages will rise by a factor of 2x...

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy