Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: richard_henderson
Date/Time: Fri, December 21, 2001 at 12:30 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Subject: Absolutely right

The need for the Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet to curtail the "insider" management of Registries by ICANN is pressing.

Please note that I could have carried on listing these foreign generics into the night, but I would end up knocking other people's relevant remarks off the foot of this forum (though you can always review back as far as you want). Anyway, most of the stuff at the foot was the dross from a 'plant' earlier this week, trying to knock the credibility of the forum.

I have received between 600 and 700 e-mails from all over the world listing suspected false .info names. How on earth can Afilias expect to challenge so many names from all over the world in countless languages, unless they undertake a Trademark check in every Trademark/Patent Office in each country.

The task they have set themselves is unrealistic, and therefore their challenge will be a "token", and an opportunity for them to grab some of the most lucrative English-language generics and offer them up for re-sale.

None of which offers any compensation to the Landrush pre-registrants, who have already paid their money for a Landrush which (in the case of all the best generics) never took place.

The Domebase Solution would have been equitable, protecting genuine Trademark holders, but releasing the names which could not be matched against Trademarks.

However, this would not have made so much money for Afilias or their Directors and Registrar friends.       

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy