Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: NewGuy
Date/Time: Fri, January 4, 2002 at 4:08 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 5.0
Subject: The Lord of The Domains

For anyone who has not seen the movie "The Lord of the Rings", I strongly recommend it - it's a good story. Many people don't realise that J.R.R Tolkien's writing wasn't all just fantasy and fiction and had much basis in human nature and history.

The book/film's object of desire (desired by both good and evil) is the 'One Ring' and in an abstract way this magical piece of jewlery was supposed to represent new technology, or rather the ability to control people through this technology. The problem was that eventually, all those that possessed the ring, were eventually corrupted by its power in some way, shape or form.

It's like these new top level domains: they have the ability to give their owner a lot of power, and subsequently have 'corrupted' a lot of the people who have weilded them (big business, registrars and registries alike!) Even the non-commercial peoples that inhabit the vast lands of the Internet, who, through a desire to do good with obtained names, have resorted to some rather devious acts to get their hands on them.

Perhaps good ol' Sanjeev Goyal is like the hobbit Frodo. The most valuable domain, business.info (based on its .com equivalent having the highest aftermarket sales record of $US7.5 million), has found its way into the hands of the most unlikely person imaginable: not some huge dark multinational company, but a lowly Indian! Certainly, there are evil forces that are in malevolent pursuit of that one domain that Sanjeev holds. And given time, even Sanjeev may fall victim to its power ...

Anyway, maybe I'm being overly imaginative here, but I thought I'd share ! :)

One domain to rule them all, One domain to find them
One domain to bring them all
And in the Darkness bind them!!!!!!

Link: Lord of the Rings

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy