Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: richard_henderson
Date/Time: Sun, January 20, 2002 at 7:49 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Subject: Vint Cerf: registrars not allowed to buy domains for themselves

On 15th July I was already worried about the possibility of Registrars using their positions to buy domains for themselves, so I wrote to Vint Cerf:

"At 04:55 PM 7/15/2001 +0100, Richard Henderson wrote: Please could you advise me on a concern I have about the administration of the .info domains during the "Start Up" period? As an ordinary member of the public, I have applied to a number of certified registrars to apply for certain .info domain names.

My concern and question is this:

What is there to stop a registrar applying for popular domains themselves even if I have paid them to apply on my behalf? (Almost all registrars charge a nominal sum, but it is not the sum that concerns me, rather the right and access of the general public to domain names in a transparent process)"

VINT CERF REPLIED:

"registrars are not supposed to "trade for their own account" so to speak. I copied stuart lynn, ceo, and louis touton, general counsel, in case they have additional specifics to offer."

Question for the Forum:

What instances have there been, of Registrars applying for names for themselves, and has Vint Cerf intervened when this has happened?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy