Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: EasyTech2
Date/Time: Fri, March 1, 2002 at 5:53 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: As far as I can say at this time...

you would very likely get the New.nets version of .shop.

Why?
Because New.net Plug-in "lies" above the DNS (is integrated in the browser). If you would type in shelby.shop the the plug-in would automatically add .new.net to it (shelby.shop.new.net). This happens before a DNS query is send.

New.net plug-ins are very well distributed (e.g. kaaza, #1 with download.com). Millions of users have this plug-in installed and most of them don't know it. And most of them who know it are to dump to un-install it.

Result:
If ICANN would introduce a .shop TLD they would create a real big chaos. Maybe some of New.nets ISP would change to ICANNs .shop but millions of plug.ins would still remain. Therefore lets say 50 million users (most of them in the US) would get New.nets .shop the others would get ICANNs .shop.
I think this is a way ICANN can't go.
Does someone has another opinion?
If ICANN would be really so dump and would introduce another .shop version it wouldn't be that bad for New.net. Think of the additional exposore for the .shop TLD. New.net .shop domain owners would get ca. 15-20% of the traffic of the ICANN .shop Domain... and if you have good ones... As a result this would drive more traffic to New.nets .shop domain than present.

If ICANN won't introduce another .shop TLD New.net could expand its enabled user base till near global visibility is reached.

New.net has the same problem as .info, until there is not enough  meaningful content in those namespaces only few will know about that TLD(s) and even fewer would browse to a .info or to a .shop site.
Think about yourself. I think all users here know about .tv, .cc, .ws, .md,... But how often have you visited such sites? I think I know the answer. This could only be changed if there were enough meaningful content thats worth to browse to such sites/domains.

CONTENT IS KING!

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy