Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Greg Krajewski
Date/Time: Thu, June 15, 2000 at 6:12 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: .web registrants have a legal right to their domain names

My feeling to the question posed by Paul is very pertinent to the issue of new TLD's coming out...Should existing registrants have preference to their domain names???  IN the case of IOD (Image Online Design) having kept a registry since 1996 for the dot web name, I feel that those registrants should have preference to their domain names (the difference between this and the Sunrise proposal is that those registrants, including myself, entered into a contract "in good faith".  Technically no prospective registry has a legal mandate on them to provide domain names for TM holders....Basically "FIRST COME FIRST SERVE"...Now if you break the law by registering a TM name (with dot web), then the courts will decide your fate).  This is no different then if you had registered a dot com name last year with Register.com when they came online (they could not have possibly told Network Solutions to wipe the slate clean to give their customers first picks)...Also you will notice, Register.com did not have to divy up TM dot com names that were left...It simple business...You first enter into a contract, you own it....If you feel this contract owned by someone else infringes on your TM property you must solve it in court...Everyone would like for this process to much simpler...However just think if it were as easy is telling a company, "Hey that is my property" and the person who was told this had to give the property up"....ICANN I believe would set itself up for failure if it made this process that simple...There is a reason for things to go to court (not all) but in this case without it..you could single handedly bring down the whole system...

As I stated above I have registered a dot web name (does not infringe on any TM holder).  I made a personal decision that IOD should have been given the go ahead as they were authorized to do, but abrutly halted (in uploading to the root servers).  Therefore based on this I placed my "vote" way before anyone else for my dot web domain name.  I realize that this domain name might full well take years to be uploaded, yet I stood resolved that someday this name would see the light...and I believe it will...

The question for ICANN is what to do with the people who stood by this .web domain (and company)???...Strip them of legal binding contracts that were put in place before this hoopla started or honor the contracts and begin to bring some faith back into the DNS system...I would choose the latter (Granted this is a self serving position, but I hope I chose the correct words above to back this up with fact)

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy