Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fireball
Date/Time: Thu, June 15, 2000 at 10:16 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.5 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: No More Tlds PLEASE

There are millions of .com domains available. Add to that fact, that recently the length of characters allowed in a domain was extended. There are even many more .net domains still available, but many .net domains are being ignored. I urge you to not give in to pressure to make more TLDs. When things get more confusing, the very people who are pressuring you right now, will among the ones who will be blaming you for allowing more TLDs into the system. If you think you are under pressure now, just let a bunch more TLDs into the system, and wait a few years. But then it will be too late to fix things. Right now, NumberOne.com has meaning. If there is a NumberOne.web, NumberOne.shop, NumberOne.banc, NumberOne.xxx, NumberOne.travel. NumberOne.me, NumberOne.you, that will allow 7 more NumberOne domains into the system. That will not be enough to make everyone happy, because everyone wants to be NumberOne. There still will be people will be shouting, "Not fair! What about me? Why don't I get a chance to be NumberOne? We need more TLDs! All the good ones are taken!" You will need millions of more TLDs to make everyone happy, but then, NumberOne.anything will become too confusing, and pretty much meaningless. What a mess we will have. So letting more TLDs into the system will make a small number of people happy, and most of the possible domains in the new TLDs will go unused, as everyone tries to get NumberOne.something. The less TLDs we have, the less confusion we will have as to who is NumberOne. The more TLDs we have, the more confusion we will have as to who is NumberOne. Plus, the sound of "dotcom" is reaching critical mass. That is good for the internet. More TLDs will inject confusion for the people, and general frustration with the internet as a whole, will set in for the consumer. We are getting to the point where people don't have to be told what you are talking about when you add the "dot com" sound to a word or phrase. It is a short, unique, sound that says a lot. If people say they want more TLDs, I encourage you to set up a place where people can list the type of domain they are looking for. I am sure it will be seen that a suitable "dot com" could be found for them. They will just not be able to have NumerOne.com.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy