Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Greg Krajewski
Date/Time: Fri, June 16, 2000 at 11:41 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: non-issue with regards to .web registrations

I would agree with you that there have been some individuals that appear to have tried to corner the market on some generic .web names, however they have paid their $35 and if I am not mistaken, if they do not infringe on a TM (it's legal)....The question is will they sell the names, or will they use them to start a business using the .web name...What thing I noticed when I did a search is that the inviduals (most) bought names with familiar themes, which is a common practice that large companies use...try typing in homework.com...(Amazon)...Killer.com (a search page)....My theory of business (which IOD) is engaged in (with the support of IANA, et al) is that you are trying to sell a product...in this case they are selling .web domain names...Those who purchase a name (for which I have myself as stated in my earlier writings) have in a sense put for their "vote" for the domain name...If .web is chosen as a new gTLD (which I think it has a good chance) then those that paid money will be able to use the product they purchased...(es you could make a value judgement, however in business the facts are black and white...which is how I see it)..in return for paying $35 these inviduals received a "receipt" unless they didn't and are waiting to pay by mail...That receipt represents a "good faith" contract...Now the question will be if ICANN honors it....My suggestion is to go to http://www.webtld.com and look up names, then go to http://www.networksolutions.com or register.com and then see the difference for yourself...You will find TM infringers, cybersquatters, business people, schools, churches, etc, etc.... .web is an excellent name and for my BUSINESS i made a choice.... which is what we have needed (6 to 10 new gtlds)...Then watch the folks that thought buying a bunch of .com's or .web's will do for their bottomline (hey those $35 yearly payments will eventually be too much---the people I worry about are the businesses that can afford numerous gTLD's).... One last thing...you can be sure there will be a land grab...My suggestion for ICANN is to ONLY announce on this website and also to place a one month restriction for new gTLD's to market their names....This is how NEW restaraunts are opened as if they Let everyone know the exact date they opened their kitchen staff would not be able to handle it.... Just and idea...

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy