Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: pbba12
Date/Time: Sat, June 17, 2000 at 12:59 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Stay with the convention

I don't know where the 4 and 2 letter TLDs came from, but I think they just make things confusing. There are already 2 letter 2nd/top level domains that are mostly used for specific location/country and adding another 2 letter domain that doesn't follow the convention will be confusing. (.eu for European sites is good...but if they do that they should make a 2 letter domain for each of the other continents too)

As for the 4 letter ones....they're just unusual. Nothing really wrong with them, but people aren't used to them. Besides, the suggestions doesn't make sense....I mean, they have .shop for shopping sites, but since they fit into .com it just makes it harder for both the site and the user to choose which address (The site will end up getting a .shop for his .com site, the same way he has a .net and .org one; the user will just continue to use the .com, and the .shop is wasted. And what if the .com name isn't registered to the .shop site? The user might not even try using .shop and thus not find the site)

So my suggestions are (not better that most people's):
.tec  =  for tecnology sites. (or maybe just tell them to use .net)
.xxx  =  obviously for adult-related sites.
.per  =  personal pages. Only real names allowed (?) lower prices.
.int  =  not a new domain name i think. For international, possibly commercial sites
.loc  =  a site that targets only a local area (it'll be followed by the country domain then state/province domain then a city sub-domain)
.buy  =  maybe instead of .shop
.pol  =  for politics inclined sites
.uni  =  company unions....should have the same domain as the .com- pany (ie acme.uni is the worker union for acme.com)
.mis  =  domains that don't fit in any other category. Not only is this for websites, but could also be useful for other non-HTTP net-related applications where you would want a domain name instead of an IP number but don't want (or can't) use a preferred sub-domain. THIS SHOULD BE FREE!! Raise the price of the other domain names so that you can keep this one free; however, only one domain per registrar. (?)

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy