Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Sun, June 18, 2000 at 2:32 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: and the damage done

rs79 writes:       

>Trademark owners (and trademark ownners pretending to be geeks in this forum) notwithstanding<

I'm neither, for the record.

>The notion that poeple will be confused by new TLDS is ludicrous. Currently there are 258 top level domains. Can you name more than 10 ?<

You seem to be arguing against yourself. Apart from the obvious three letter gTLD's: .de - Germany, .ca - Canada, .mx - Mexico, .uk - United Kingdom, .au - Australia, .to - Tonga, .fm - Caroline Islands, .tv - Tuvalu, .cc - Cocos Islands, .ws - Samoa.
The first 5 because one sees them often enough, could have named more; the latter 5 because they're already branded as alternative gTLD's, and again could have named more. But we need still more new TLDs? How does that follow? How does having a geocities.shop and a geocities.web lessen confusion, whether or not they're owned by geocities.com? Or a mycoolwebsite.firm and mycoolwebsite.biz, assuming they're not identical, and if they are, what's the point?

>So you know what .ZA is ? .CX ? .FOOD will be confusing but .VI isn't ? Lo verily, render unto me a break.<

Zaire...no South Africa :), Christmas Island, and the Virgin Islands. Now where's my kewpie doll? Naw, you're right, if what you're saying is we need recognizeable TLD's or there's no point in adding them. My only wonder is how many TLD's can you add, and how many characters can you put in them, without rendering major software breaks. Seems to me that's one question that ICANN as a technical organization should address. If the answer is lots, then the only other question I have is why can't the DNS be set up like a yellow pages? I'm looking for a technical answer, not a philosophical one.

>Despite this apparant confusion the Internet seems to muddle on. That's what search engines are for.<

You seem to be arguing against the need for recognizeable TLD's, search engines don't care what the TLD is, they'll find you at everyone.knows-this-is.no/where if you're submitted. Seems to me, search engine abilities will continue to improve, add .obvious TLD's and we're better off than we are now.

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy