Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Merlin
Date/Time: Fri, June 23, 2000 at 4:43 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.08 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: .WEB and ICANN?????????

I think we can all be in agreement that from the first day of ICANN's inception they were well aware of IOD and the .WEB registry.
At this moment I don't have the "legal" truth to my statement however given Icon's position and for lack of perhaps the proper word, the governing body, the head cheese, oz, etc.. You get my point. We all know that ICANN's charter determines that they are responsible for "technical" issues but let's call it, as it is they deal in "policy" as well. I think that a big part of the controversy that surrounds ICANN might have been alleviated if "policy" officially was part of their job. In any event I think it is fair to say that if ICANN ever considered IOD a bad company or haven't truly considered .WEB and IOD for the job in the future
Then how could they sit idly by and have innocent people whether it was 3 years ago or just yesterday continue registering .web domains.
Some might say that it is not their responsibility and I think that would be "passing the buck" and furthermore "Stability" of the internet is widely associated with their existence given that would it be fair to say that if thousands of folks across 75 countries were burned and ICANN sat by from day one, I think then to a certain degree
It creates an instability in other areas of importance like confidence, trust and leadership which given the current state of controversy that surrounds ICANN shouldn't be overlooked.  These are well-educated individuals that belong to ICANN and certainly they must realize the importance of building trust and so forth. In applying common sense I view it as a positive for IOD and it's domain holders
I welcome reason and I would be interested to know the "legal" point to this area of thought.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy