Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: chewie
Date/Time: Tue, June 27, 2000 at 5:24 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Navigator V using XWindows/Linux 2.2.15 (Pentium)
Score: 5
Subject: Q10-13: Lessons from intros? Openness? Limit # of new TLDs?

Q10: What lessons, if any, can be learned regarding new gTLD introductions from the experience of the ccTLD registries?

[Chad] I won't argue with AIM's point, that people appreciated the additional categorization of charters.  ccTLDs were a necessity based on the growing size of the Internet.  How effective are they, really?  They've opened up possibilities for other countries to parcitipate, but it hasn't really affected the US's participation in ccTLDs.  The UK uses .co.uk in the same way the US uses .com's, but nothing encourages US companies to participate in a similar heirarchy.  How many .co.us sites have you seen?  I would argue the answer is "none" to "very few".  The most effective use I've seen of such domains in the us is with the K12 (Kindergarten through 12th grade) schools or perhaps city marketing sites (www.city.state.us).

[Chad] Added TLDs can be beneficial, but only if they're used.

Q11: Can lessons relevant to introduction of new TLDs be learned from the recent decisions by a number of them to operate in a globally open manner? If so, what lessons?

[AIM] Scarcity forces bad behaviour to the detriment of honest net users.

[Chad] I think you missed the point of the question, AIM.  Are you saying that because certain TLDs have opened their registration and dropped certain selective requirements, that they've promoted scarcity in the domain name space?  I would argue that the lesson to be learned here is that the Internet is growing at an alarming pace, and the desire for unique and recognizable names is growing equally fast.  Opening up registration and management of TLDs only demonstrates the desire of the public to get their fingers into the action.

Q12: Is the Names Council's recommendation that a "limited number of new top-level domains be introduced initially" a sensible way to minimize risks to Internet stability?

[AIM] It has dangers if scarcity leads to a land rush and unneccessary pre-emptive buying of otherwise unwanted domains by brand owners.

[Chad] There is truth to what AIM is saying.  I really don't believe that the current schema for namespace management is going to fly for long.  It's simply not scalable.  Regardless, you must work with what you've got (for the time being).  I would like to present argument to a different schema in another post.  To answer this question, I would say that you fall victim to current trends in namespace hording if you open too few or too broadly classifiable TLDs. 

Take, for example, the recent case brought against the owners (previous) of PETA.ORG.  However you might take your humor, PETA.ORG was an acronym for "People Eating Tasty Animals", an obvious spoof web site/domain to the advocacy group People for the Ethical Treatement of Animals, whom had reserved and owned PETA.COM.  IMHO, the judge made a bad decision ruling in favor of advocacy group, but I digress.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy