Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: P Mc Crory
Date/Time: Wed, June 28, 2000 at 12:41 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: Safe TLD for children

I wish to propose the following model for a gTLD:
The domain would be dedicated presenting content suitable for children, the extension being ".kid".
Special features of the domain

A TLD administration committee would be appointed with the following powers and duties:
i. Provide and update as necessary, guide-lines on the type of content which is suitable for children. Act to encourage a minimisation of bias (gender, race, country and creed).
ii. Actively police the whole domain.
iii. Ensure links are can only be freely made to other ".kid" second level domains. External links would only be permitted with the agreement of the .kid administration committee.
iv. Collate non-personal data as required for the invoicing of domain name holders.
v. Suspend or permanently terminate registration of a domain at any time in the event of serious breaches of the code of practice.
vi. Vet its own membership for evidence of undue influence from any second level domain name holders or other conflicts of interest. Committee members might also be required to make a public declaration of any interests in specified areas such as non-mutual share holdings, directorships, browser producers or charities which might benefit from surpluses (see below).
vii. Reserve second level domains which would act as the basis for non-english third level domains which were language (rather than country) determined. Where appropriate, control of three character non-english translations of .kid might given to the committee.

All second level .kid domain name holders would be:
i. Required to pay an annual service charge which would fund the policing effort*.
ii. Required to instigate high quality firewalls on their servers.
iii. Required to provide high level security on data collected from site visitors.
iv. Act to minimize the possibility of EXCESSIVE (ie as a proportion of total available disposable income) expenditure by children without the knowledge of parents.
v. Exclude any reference to non- .kid sites in their content unless agreed with the TLD administration committee
vi. Present proof of (annual) insurance to protect against claims arising from failure to properly administer the site and/or maintain security.
vii. Required to declare any influence which they may have in relation to member on the committee

* The annual charge might comprise the following components:
i. A flat rate fee.
ii. A variable (pro-rata) component related to levels of visitor traffic (non-personal data only would be available to the TLD administration executive)
iii. Possibly a variable component related to banded levels of turnover on the sites.
iv.  An upper level would be set annually for policing and all other expenditures.

Annual financial surpluses would be donated to children's charities.

Paul Mc Crory
[ e-mail pvmmc@yahoo.com ]

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy