Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: skimming
Date/Time: Sun, July 2, 2000 at 4:13 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: competition

I'm a layperson who owns a handful of domain names because I find some of them useful and others a novel "investment" of small change.  It seems to me that competition between millions of individuals who pay around 35$ to register a second tier name is healthier for society than competition between several thousand registries who are in competition to manage tld's. Why not dictate who manages the limited number of tld's and how they do it? That keeps competition alive in the hands of the masses?  What is bad about that?

How can anyone be concerned about scarcity of gtld names? It's very easy to create a new/unused .COM domain name today. So what's the problem?  Oh yeah, it's the "good" ones that are gone so therefore we need to make more "good" ones available. So what happens when the good tld's are gone?  I'd like to be able to participate in the competition as a lay person. For those of you who disagree with me, please help me find a way to be assigned the ".loans" tld at 35$ a year using a hassle-free online submission form.  I'll squat on that one too.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy