Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Sotiris
Date/Time: Tue, July 4, 2000 at 1:09 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: My Question to ICANN.

About two years ago, I actually had the privilege of discussing certain related matters with Esther Dyson herself, as I was a member of the IANA email discussion list(So, yes she does exist, but I  don't know if she visits here...).  I don't know what became of that mailing list as for personal reasons I was forced to be absent from all forums and activity concerning the DNS for quite some time.  I have been doing a lot of reading over the past few days in order to catch up with the various twists and turns of the last while.  One question which continues to arise in my thoughts while I read the arguments and position papers for and against the introduction of new TLDs is connected to the rootserver uTLDs as outlined in RFC1591 by Jon Postel:

COM - This domain is intended for commercial entities, that is
         companies. 

NET - This domain is intended to hold only the computers of network
         providers...

ORG - This domain is intended as the miscellaneous TLD for
         organizations that didn't fit anywhere else. 

My Question(s):  Considering the all-encompassing scope of these three uTLDs, what are the proposed genera of activity which will be served- that do not fall within the purview of the above outlined uTLDs -by adding any TLDs to the DNS?  As a corollary: What is the benefit factor of the introduction of new TLDs in comparison with the continued and increasing stability of the existing DNS and its processes, specifically when the current State of the Addressing System is far from consolidated?    

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy