Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Sotiris
Date/Time: Tue, July 4, 2000 at 5:30 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Signs or Symbols?

Perhaps, the real issue is one that has to do with semantics after all.  But then, how many of us are truly qualified to deal with such an aspect of the issue?  If the Internet is to remain as one unified global namespace index, how many international commercial genus TLDs can operate at the same time without overlapping intellectual property rights issues and concerns?  Also, among other things but no less important, we should not fail to mention the confusion among consumers and businesses who've come to equate the COM domain with international commercial activity.  

Considering the constants of a limited supply of bandwidth, processing power, and storage capacity, why should namespace be treated any differently?  Is a capitalist economy not based on supply and demand?  I've read some of the posts below and frankly I was quite shocked to see some of the sermons for a "free market".  One has to wonder if what some people really mean by a "free" market is a place where everything is free for the taking... a place where people who worked hard to produce, create or acquire something, bring the products and fruits of their labours and just GIVE EVERYTHING AWAY FOR NOTHING(not even a "thank you" it seems).  Frankly, I do not represent large corporate interests, however I wonder about the wisdom of introducing any new TLDs at this juncture, simply because some people missed out on the free-for all (LITERALLY), and are now perhaps selfishly lobbying for their chance at possibly creating another mess for the rest of the Internet Community to clean up.  I think a very slow and studied approach to the entire matter is necessary.  I wonder about the prudence of rushing the process by setting deadlines for the introduction of any new or even preregistered uTLDs. 

There is still plenty of good namespace available among the ccTLD's of those nations which have maintained the integrity of their national registries.  If you need a "good" or "useful" domain name, why not try your country's ccTLD root? 

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy