Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Voice Of Reason
Date/Time: Wed, July 5, 2000 at 3:23 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: In-Depth Analysis--ICANN & Forum Participants..

Hello,
Hope everyone had/is having a safe and great extended weekend!

ISSUES:

1.  There can be no logical, reasonable contention why new gTLDs cannot be added while maintaining the stability and integrity of the Internet.  The .com, .net, .org, .cc, etc. have already Proven this.  I mean, really.  There can be NO argument to convince me otherwise.  Maybe a little background will help:  Our Company does not depend on any specific gTLD to survive in our targeted audience.  We are .com holders, good names being used for our business.  This means that I am writing my views from a business .com stand point and I have NO reservations about the addition of new gTLDs at all!  I do not feel threatened and whatever TMs are held by my company will be dealt with in an appropriate manner.  I won't try to run over the little guy.  Why should I?  Why would I want to?  I am a very successful Professional and feel my business can be maintained without cramming my TMs and Corp. status down anyone's throat.

So, I see NO reason to not add new gTLDs.

2.  Timeframe:  Now.  Simple as that.

3.  Sunrise Proposal?  NO.  I do not want the "jump on the goods" over someone who does not hold a TM.  I would rather see a .reg added as a TLD.  Odd coming from a "big business" operation?  Well, there are those of us who do NOT want a Sunrise period.

4.  All Registries are to Prove themselves as IOD has.  Do I have .web names? Yep.  Did I find IOD on my own?  Yep.  They did not find me.  That's the Logical Appropriate way it should be.  Names were taken I might have wanted, big deal.  A lot of .com names were taken before it was brought into the A Root.  Fact.  You know it.  I know it.  The legalities are Enormous if the database is wiped clean.  Legalities are Enourmous if IOD is not chosen as a Registry and someone with less Experience and Qualifications is chosen.  If .web is not chosen as a new gTLD in this roll out now, Legalities are Enormous if less "tested" and qualified TLDs are chosen. 

Those are just facts plain and simple.

When you have over 70 Countries Represented in a Database, it appears the WORLD was aware of the situation and chose to opt for IOD versus the CORE's attempt at registering .webs.  Are the .webs Preregistrations?  NOPE.  They are Registrations Clear and Simple.  You know it, I know it and your Legal Counsel know it.  Simple as that.

What other gTLDs should be added?  Who knows for sure.  Which ones have been "tested" for 6 years like .web?  Tell us that and those are the Ones which should be in this roll out now in 2000.  NameSpace might serve as a Representative for those names.  They seem to have their act together.

Got to go.  Will write here more later.  Beeper going off.  Work calls.

VOR

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy