Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: WorldThoughts
Date/Time: Wed, July 5, 2000 at 3:38 AM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Will new TLDs cause confusion?

<<<<<< Most users will HATE new gTLDs. It adds confusion. >>>>>  

Okay, it's been a couple of weeks since I challenged this particular fallacy. Time to repeat myself.

The above argument has been uttered too many times, but it makes NO sense whatsoever.

HOW can new gTLDs create confusion?  I mean, reeeeaaaaaally think about this. HOW can a .web, .bank, .food, .movie, .shop cause confusion? We are not talking about .rt, .xe4, .fipz.

If people don't understand what .web might mean, or .bank, or .shop, then something went terribly wrong with their education. Perhaps no one read to them at night. As I have said in the past, they need to go back and examine what went wrong that made them so deficient in their language and thinking skills.

As for the rest of us: should we disadvantage ourselves because others are incompetant? And I truly DO mean that. A person who is confused by what the various gTLDs mean, has a few issues, if the gTLDs are themselves clear--as in the cases indicated above. Personally, I resent having to have my world legislated to the lowest segment of society.

Yet in all honesty, I think the statement, "New gTLDs will cause
confusion" is more of an intentional smoke screen or a mindless mantra that's origin has long since been lost. Truth be told, I don't think many people will be confused. I have discussed the concept of gTLDs with more than a handful of people--some not the brightest or even a little bit tech savvy--and they all grasp .web, .shop, .movie, etc.

Let's be honest. And as I said--if there are those among us who don't comprehend what a .movie means--let's bring them to our level of being mentally "with-it" . . . and not shape our world around their incapacity. Imagine if someone had said, "There will be those who don't understand what the Internet is. Let's not have one." Or better yet. . . Imagine if someone had said, "This wheel thing is going to confuse people. Let's stick with squares and oblongs."

Let's advance according to our needs and our imagination. Give the world a paradigm shift every few years. It's called evolution. It's called existence. Thus sayeth WorldThoughts.

The above was taken pretty much word for word from a previous post of mine, but I saw no need to change much.

To those who remember the post, I apologize--but it was apparently due for playback.

I think the only way a descriptive gTLD might be confusing is if it is unidentifiable to most languages in the world. That is why we have to work with word roots (that are common in most languages), and need to work with words that are wholley identifiable in all languages.

And as someone recently pointed out on this board. . .    ".com" is not even a word. It is a word fragment--one that many people aren't sure the derivation of. ("commerce"). Yet even these folks didn't have confusion when they hit the Internet for the first time. The confusion might been in how to operate a keyboard, where to type a URL, how to define parameters in a search engines query. But have you ever seen someone gawk at the keyboard and say, "I don't understand what to do. What the hell is a .net?"

It will be no different with .web, .shop, .arts, etc.

The time it will take people to get USED to it is quite another thing. Time passes, and it is inevitable.

In this contemporary world, we CONSTANTLY witness new area codes being added to the TELEPHONE root. And it only takes time before we get used to them.

And consider the children of today's society--and the children not yet born.

They will look at a world with .com,  .net, .org, .web, .shop, .store, .food, .bank, .art, .info, .school, .xxx, .reg, .movie, etc., etc.,  . . . and they will whisk right through them.

We insult them, and ourselves, when we say, "Having multiple gTLDs will cause confusion."

Nonsense.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy