Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory Krajewski
Date/Time: Thu, July 6, 2000 at 1:58 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: My Final Comments to ICANN......web/iod/icann/opinions/the future

This will be my last post before the Yokohama meetings next week.  I guess I would just like to clear up something....Most of the.web domain holders have not entered into the discussion for whatever reason...If you look back on this discussion board you will find what amounts to the same discussion Working Group C had, the .web/IOD situation, preregistrations, the need for new gTLD's and the amount....So it would appear that these issues that have been discussed thoroughly are important to the process you will be voting on....

I assume if the rest of the .web domain holders could speak you would have the same varying responses and non domain name holders for that matter...I hope that the few that have feverantly posted pro .web/IOD comments on this board do not think that because you "demand" to be entered into the roots that it will happen overnight...The system is now in the hands of an organization that is slow to act...for better or worse...Jumping up and down, threatening to sue, etc, etc will only give us a ball park figure of your age....Spamming this board will get you noticed, however it's amazing someone has that much time to write gibberish, nonetheless you do have the right to your opinions...The way .web domain holders (in my opinion) should act is to write the commerce dept, your senator, and yes ICANN directly (paper--snail mail)...Get organized....as "demanding" anything will get you nowwhere---this process is not about you, me or anyone else, it's about the future health of the internet...This is not meant to be a slap in your face, but rather a wake-up call as some of us .web holders actually are interested in the health of the internet (not saying that your not---but do a reality check)....

So this leads me to ICANN, many people have tried to answer your 75 questions....my hope is that you will make your decisions in July with the spirit that something dynamic needs to happen to the DNS...not just uploading a few domains to appease a particular group...the average net users has a minimum of a college degree and is very savvy...they understand (I think) that the name-space needs a boost...I would even venture to say, the people who have posted on this forum understand the DNS even better and can't understand the delay, there jobs are probably computer related and have a vested interest in this process (as do I)....However Nothing will change as ICANN has posted their summary dates for things to come...I give them credit for doing that as now we can hold them to it (this is progress)...One thing many don't understand is that last year(ICANN) gave themselves until Oct 2000 to see how the UDRP worked(which IPC thinks it's working fine by the way--see post below)....So one thing those folks that demanded July 2000 to be the date for upload of the demains, make sure your reading every ICANN page, not just the ones the first page....If you would read the report from the Cairo meetings you would have realized nothing could possibly happen until after Oct 2000....NOTE:  I agree that it could have been done a lot sooner, however again, get organized (letter campaigns, etc) if you are serious...Making rash comments may make you feel good, but it doesn't do any good for the whole..

To ICANN:  Have we answered your questions??? I am not sure if the answers were already "answered" before hand...The reason:  You asked for a variety of questions including whether the system could handle an influx of domains...nonetheless you apparently had a freudian slip on the opening of your page to this forum....read further:

(From disscussion board opening page) "At its meeting on 15-16 July 2000 in Yokohama, Japan, the ICANN Board is expected to consider adopting a policy under which new top-level domains would be introduced to the Internet Domain Name System in a measured and responsible manner"

I realize your considering adopting a policy under which new top-level domains would be introduced in a measure and responsible manner, but what about focusing your words on what the DNS needs, whether it's slow or fast.....I bring this up, because even though I scour your webpage for information, I never leave it understanding where "ICANN" officially stands on anything (more like a mystery novel---A lot of words, but no conclusion)...I realize the whole system is to be consensus based and therefore you actually don't know yourselves (unless you have private chats as does the supreme court justices do---for good reason), nonetheless I hate the feeling that my comments whether it's a vote for .web, or and idea to cover the asian character problem, or what type of registry should be selected, are heard...Yes a lot of us have staked our claim and we have "a lot" riding on your decisions, but true to human nature we do need feedback, as I think that is the reason a lot of people may not have left comments that could have given you better ideas...Ultimately you will were left with those that want you to hear them, as you should because we are nonetheless a community....So a little lesson posing questions (if you post questions in the future)...we need to know what your thinking...that way we are not left debating ourselves--which is nonproductive, rather we give our ideas, you can post, yeah or ney, and then a true, meaningful discussion would most likely ensue...At last, I leave this board with one thought...If the internet could speak, not the domain holders, the TM constinuents, the lawyers, and the registries, what would it say it wanted...My feeling it would say that choice is good...competition is good....and no one is above the system itself, as in baseball, those groups who try to take it hostage, take too much from it, leaving the rest feel on the outside and disinterested...which is not good for the internet or ICANN I might add....Good Day!   Gregory Krajewski

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy