Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: davidaff
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 12:54 AM GMT (Sun, July 9, 2000 at 1:54 PM CET)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Macintosh PowerPC
Score: 5
Subject: DNS should die if business choose TLD's new assigment

The community created the net.
Business is knidnapping the net.
The community should choose TLDs'assigment without business advice. Nevermind what will cost new TLDs for companies...
TLDs may be useful to everyone who want to act on the net, not only business companies. If companies need laws to protect their business, let the law disclaims.

According to this point of view, I think the best way is to be able to create any TLD people want, and to avoid any restriction about the using of these TLDs. TLDs should be consider as an *activity*, like computer, foods, ...
For example .ibm should be consider as something that has nothing regard with the IBM company... If IBM wants to buy every name under .ibm, let them be stupid and buy these names...

If the law, under the pressure, restricts the using of company names on TLD, so the best way is to wipe out DNS and use IP address.
The Internet Community created DNS to help human with using the net, if business is so stupid and if laws give right to business, there's nothing to do...

Is it possible for ICANN to define a TLD (or several TLDs) on which assigned names reglementation will not be under any country laws ?

david
(sorry but I'm french and I'm not sure to use right words to explain my mind).

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy