Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 3:23 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: yes but...

jamielove writes:

>Examples of names that should be permited, without consent of trademark owner, would be boeing.union,

With the possible exception of the above example I agree with you. What if boeing has numerous unions (as I imagine they do), and who would united.union be (airlines union or trucking union, or a union called United)? As Dan Yager pointed out in a post I otherwise disagreed with, what if boeing had no union? And what if boeing workers changed unions? There could be a messy fight over whom owns the name.

These latter points should properly be worked out by the interested parties, not left up to ICANN, as you stated so accurately, I'm just pointing out potential problems. As a former shop steward, negotiator, and member of Teamsters for a Democratic Union (I still have my knees), I felt semi-qualified to do so.

Boeing union workers aren't legally called the Boeing Union (I imagine there is case law against this), so I'd suggest the company name not be used in this fashion. Registering boeing-sucks.com or boeing.sucks should have no such restrictions even if it is a site owned by a boeing union and/or the boeing union site(s) under their legalname.union link to it.

>ICANN should permit groups to create restricted TLDs, such as domains only available to insured banks or to labor unions, but should not itself get involved in the details of the registry management, beyond a few areas where ICANN's oversight addresses technical problems for Internet navigation or stability.  Governments should enforce and make trademark policy, not ICANN, for example, and ICANN should also avoid policies that undermine privacy or free speech.<

Agree absolutely. That ICANN needs to be told this, or that it is even up for debate, shows just how far off the rails they have already gone in a fairly short time.

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy