Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: sybesma
Date/Time: Mon, July 10, 2000 at 9:36 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: Adding TLDs will help with several problems...

Hello,

I would like to allow only a few more top-level domains.

I think a good sampling of the different types of sites should be taken (by typing in various Class C IP addresses, for instance) to see how many percent fall into a specific category before a new TLD is instituted for each of those categories.

I think the top three largest sub-categories of '.com' (who as yet do not have a (sometimes more fitting) TLD of their own should be assigned one to remove the overwhelming burden from the '.com' category.

There is no reason to go too fast on this thing and create too many TLDs, because it would seem to cause a lot of confusion with the public who may not always know what the correct TLD is.  A situation could arise where a person seeking a site would have to type in numerous TLDs in order to find the site he's looking for.

-----

As a side issue, I agree with the proposal of a TLD for sex-oriented sites.  Either '.sex' or '.xxx' is fine with me.

This is a very needed thing because of the fact that filtering software is sometimes very inadequate in doing the job.

If a TLD was instituted for sex-oriented sites, it would greatly help the efforts of parents to keep their children away from such sites.  In fact, filtering software and filtering ISPs could be made obsolete, as the browser would be able to handle the whole job with a simple password.  There is simply no more practical way than this to solve this problem.  It's an even better and more practical solution than forcing parents to have to supervise every minute of their kids online time, or forcing the sex-oriented sites to go through extra hoops to verify who gets onto their sites.

I would not expect much of a challenge from sex-oriented sites who should be required to conform to this new standard, because there are no first-amendment issues involved in changing a TLD.  Rather, it is to their advantage because it opens up a lot more names to them.

I would kindly ask that a proposal be made which would require sex-oriented sites to change their TLDs to the new one free-of-charge and give them up to a year to do so.

I think this is very reasonable.

If anyone disagrees, I would kindly ask them to put some thought into it and explain why rather than just saying "I disagree".

Thank you all for your time,

Steven D. Sybesma
Englewood, CO USA
webmaster@itoldyouso.org

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy