Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: highvis
Date/Time: Mon, July 10, 2000 at 2:09 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 4
Subject: Purposes for tld's

I am a member at large and feel I must voice my opinion.
Managing and regulating tld's to maintain a fair, balanced, easy to use, commercially viable internet system is a complicated process and I don't think anyone will disagree with that. What I think many will disagree with, myself included, is the view that the addition of new tld's will smooth out the system and create a better world online now and in the future.
The stated purposes for new tld's just aren't based in reality.

Enhancing competition for registration services?....There are plenty of registration services online right now. What needs to be changed and never allowed to happen again, is the monopoly that Network Solutions has held in the past.     

Enhancing the utility of the dns?
What does adding new tld's really have to do with this?

Enhancing the number of available doman names?
Between .com, .net, .org. .ws, .web, .cc, .ca, .co.uk, and all the other tld's that total over 30!!!! the consensus is we need more?

On just one site that brokers available domain names (Afternic.com) there are over 206,000 available names. That is only one site! There are many more doman brokerage and auction sites as well as private individuals, companies, and corporations that have domains available.
There are thousands of domains available that have been previously registered and for one reason or another, kicked back into the system.
There are still letter and word combinations that have never been registered.
We have over 30 tld's worldwide, millons of available domain names and we need more tld's?...Come on now! Get real.
I'm amazed that all the businesses that have so much money already invested haven't squashed this proposal like a bug.     
In certain kinds of situations I think democracy just doesn't work. This being one of them.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy