Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: 410
Date/Time: Mon, July 10, 2000 at 3:19 PM GMT (Mon, July 10, 2000 at 10:19 AM EST)
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Repeating points.

<<<<< As a consultant that assists start-up dotcom companies, I would like to inform you that every client of our firm is concerned and totally against the introduction of new TLD's.

They believe that it is not fair to only give preference to famous marks. They say that if ICANN does introduce a new TLD, ICANN should give a 90 day period for all current owners of dot com names to register their current .com names with the new TLD's. After the 90-day period, everyone would be able to register any names that are available. >>>>>>

To counter the above, I REPEAT what I said in a previous post:

"Clearly you don't understand the REASON new TLDs are being introduced: to enable OTHER people to attain domains not available in .com, .net and .org so as to offer diversity and competition where business relates, and similar opportunities where non-commercial interests are concerned.

To give .biz, .store, .info domains to the owners of the corresponding domains in .com, .net, or .org destroys the very reasoning behind introducing new TLDs into the Internet root. You then might as well not open new TLDs if there is redundancy.

And which of the existing domain registrants gets it? Does the owner of Business.com get to register Business.biz? Or do you allow the owner of Business.net to have it? Or the owner of Business.org.

No offense, but isn't this all obvious reasoning?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy