Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: vany_martinez
Date/Time: Mon, July 10, 2000 at 11:21 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.72 using XWindows/Linux 2.2.12-20 (Pentium)
Score: 5
Subject: Comments regarding 1 to 50 questions about new gTLDs

I want to comment about the 74 questions about new gTLDs. 

I must say first that there are many of this questions that I am agree with the Milton Mueller comments.  Other's I have my own comments.
----------------
Questions 1 to 4: 

For the questions 1 to 4 of new gTLDs issue, I just have to comment that I am agree with Milton. Technical issues is no a concern since the actual DNS system have the capability to handle addition of many new gTLDs and also is able to handle its technical management.
I think the real concerns are in the procedures to implement, delegate, and policy making which will rule such gTLDs.
-----------------

Question 5: Are there any practical means of reversing the introduction of a significant new TLD once it goes into operation?

Answer: If this question is made, then it is because whatever reason it is, a policyregarding this question has to be made, just in any case that such situation takes place in the future. An example of a policy regarding this issue could be: "ICANN can cancell any gTLD when they want. Holders will be noticed with one month (or whatever months they can) before such action takes place. They will be indemized with
an amount equivalent to the annual payment less months used already."
----------------------
Question 6:
Is it feasible to introduce a TLD on a "trial basis," giving clear
notice that the TLD might be discontinued after the trial is completed?

Answer:  I am agree. A trial period also would make that speculation take place and even would promote cybersquatting.
----------------------

Question 16: Should any particular goal for, or limit on, the number of TLDs to be included in the initial introduction be established in advance, or alternatively should the number included in the initial introduction be guided by the extent to which proposals establish sound proofs of concept of varied new TLD attributes?

Answer: I think no limits in number should be.
----------------------

Question 20: Taking all the relevant factors into account, should one or more fully open TLDs be included in the initial introduction?
Question 21: How many?

Milton commented: "There should be at least 5 new fully open TLDs included in the initial introduction. They should be geographically distributed.
There should be a Korean or Chinese-language equivalent of dot
com. These new registries should be given a strong expectation
that they will be allowed to add at least two more names to their
repertoire, in order to match NSI?s repertoire, at some point in
the not-too-distant future."

Answer: I think that more than 5 really. In fact, maybe 5 for cultural/language purposes and the other initial 5 for sector purposes (commercial, non-commercial, etc).                                     Remember that China, Korea and Japanm though some characters are similar, there are other that are not so similar. Remember exists Arab, Hebrew, Indi, Russian, etc. I think they have to be taken in count also if TLDs with culture/language purposes will be included in the initial introducction of gTLDs.

-----------------------

Quetion 22:
How effective would other fully open TLDs be in providing
effective competition to .com?

Answer
Agree with Milton's comment here. However, things you are saying here can be restricted with policy making. For exampe, can be policies that states the service quality to achieve. This even can include in the policy making the minimum telecommunication facilities they have to have, backup systems, etc.  And even such policy making can be revised from year to year (because telecommunications changes also very fast).
---------------------

Question 24: Would the likelihood of effective competition with .com be enhanced by making one or more of the single-character .com domains (which are currently registered to the IANA) available for use as the basis of a third-level registry (i.e. a registry  that took registration of names in the form of example.e.com or ample.1.com>)? Should the single-character .com domains be made available for possible registry usage in conjunction with the initial group of additional TLDs?

Answer:  Agree with Milton's comments here. Also I want to add that as far as more gTLDs are introduced, then the less need of SLD would be
needed.
-----------------------

Question 28
Is the concept of TLD "charters" helpful in promoting the
appropriate evolution of the DNS?

Answer:
There should be policies that regulates or states the minimum requirements for general administrative and technical management of new gTLDs.
But also I think that if new gTLDs will be created thinking in many sectors within commercial and non-commercial ones, then of course chartered gTLDs should exists, to satisfy such sectors. Also such chartered gTLDs would decrease the chance of cybersquatting and also would drecrease the chance of commercial sector claim for ownership of a name in the non-commercial gTLD and viceversa.
Of course, all of this is true with the correct policies.
Regarding this policy I am thinking just now that an UDRP policy can be added: "The ones who register within "such gTLD" renounce to claim for the same domain in "such and such and such gTLDs" while you are holder of a domain within this gTLD", for example.
------------------

Question 32: Should chartered TLDs be introduced according to a pre-defined system, or should proposals be evaluated on an individualized basis?

Answer:

Yes, in order to chartered gTLDs be created and delegated, some policy making has to be taken in count. Requisites have to be fullfilled in order to obtain the delegation of a new chartered gTLD and it will vay depending on the purpose of the gTLD itself.
------------------

Question 33: If charter proposals are evaluated on an individualized basis, should any steps should be taken to promote stable           and orderly evolution of the DNS overall?

Answer:
Only the ones that are pertaining to technical issues, since in technical issues is what depend the stability and orderly evolution of the DNS.  Of course other policy making has to be taken in count, but this is not regarding this question.
------------------

Question 34: Has the inventory of useful and available domain names reached an unacceptably low level?

Answer:
Yes.
Agree with Milton. But this is happening because there wasn't regulation about registering domain names. Many people has invested in a bunch of domain names just with the purpose and hope of the sell them for a lot of money.
------------------------

Question 37: What measures should be employed to encourage or require that a sponosring organization is appropriately representative of the TLD's intended stakeholders?

Answer:
Maybe ICANN cannot decide who is who, but ICANN can make policies that helps in the process of election of qualifying "representatives".

---------------------------------------

Question 38: In cases where sponsoring organizations are appointed, what measures should be established to ensure that the interests of the global Internet  community are served in the operation of the TLD?

Answer:
I think this question is more intended to refer to "created interests". Again, policy making will help a lot in order to avoid created interests.
-------------------

Question 39: How should global policy requirements (adherence to a TLD's charter,  requirements of representativeness, interoperability requirements, etc.) be  enforced?

Answer:                          
Read my answer at Question.28. Also I can say that ICANN is a "Regulator/Coordinator Entity" already. Global Policies are not necessary to be enforced since the policies made by ICANN are inherently made for be complied.                                   ICANN can add to by laws that every accreditation they grant to perform services inherent to registry and registrars are subject to the monitoring of ICANN and if registries or registrars fails in accomplish policies then                                      acreditation can be cancelled, but technical operation has to continue to be performed until the adminstrative management is delegated to another acredited organization. Because, of course, a policy like this has to assure technical stability and a continue service.
--------------------------------------

Question 41: Does the start up of a new TLD pose additional risks to intellectual  property rights that warrant additional protections?

Answer:  Agree with Milton. Also countries legislation has to contribute to this.
----------------------------

Question 42: Should the protections afforded intellectual property in the start-up pahse of new TLDs differ depending on the type of TLD?

Answer:
Agree with Milton, but also has to be stated that commercial organizations cannot register domains in non-commercial gTLDs.
----------------

Question 43: Is the availability of the UDRP and court proceedings as remedies for violations of enforceable legal rights an appropriate element of protection  of intellectual-property rights that should apply to all new TLDs? Are there  any other protections that should be made available in all new TLDs, regadless of their type?

Answer:
Protection is needed, specially for non-commercial organizations holding similar or equal domain names than commercial ones.
-------------------------------------

Question 45: What mechanisms for start up of a new TLD should be followed to ensure that all persons receive a fair chance to obtain registrations?

Answer:
One per person or organization can be good method. This policy can be temporal until the statistics detect a low level of amounts of registrations of domain in comparison with a previous period.

-----------

Question 47: Should introduction of new TLDs await completion of an evaluation of  the operation of the UDRP and be subject to a finding that the UDRP has been  successful in meeting its objectives?

Answer:
No. Introduction of new gTLDs shouldn't depend on UDRP itself. If UDRP is evaluated not successful, then modify it. 

--------------
Question 48: Should introduction of new TLDs await extension of the UDRP to cover  claims for transfer of domain names based on the relevance of a well-known trademark a chartered gTLD? How long would implementing such a revision to the UDRP likely take?

Answer:
Yes. But also has to has a deadline. If the launch of new gTLDs are setted, then of course, revisions and addition has to be made before such launching.
However, launching of new gTLDs shouldn't depend in if such revisions and additions are ready or not.
---------------------

Everything else from 1 to 50 I am agree with Milton.

Best Regards

Nilda Vany Martinez Grajales
Sustainable Development Networking Programme/Panama

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy