Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory Krajewski
Date/Time: Tue, July 11, 2000 at 12:56 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: I disagree

I could not believe what I was reading but this group made the following comment:

"Efforts should be made to minimize confusion with existing TLDs.    Significantly, introducing names directly competitive with .com may primarily duplicate the .com space in that space.  Names will be tied up in either UDRP processes, or legal battles, delaying and confusing users."

MY COMMENTS:  Where is the confusion????  This is more a provocative statement that actual fact....Dot net has been in the name space as long as dot com and you don't see business.com taking business.net through the UDRP process....C'mon folks in reality it's the dot com generic domain name owners that do not want new generic TLD's because it WILL compete with their name-space....The value of their domain may even drop because it is longer "Scarce"....The comments that new TLD's should not be like dot com's...shows all the reasons why groups like this further illustrate the NEED for new tld's....One point...What kind of domain would compete with a dot com....DOT WEB???  Dot web WOULD compete and knock dot com back all the way to Virginia (humor)...In fact I am thinking asking IOD if they would start selling T-Shirts (on IOD) that say that ::)....IN my view the comments by this group basically say.."We don't want anything to compete with dot com...."  So bring on .shop and .banc????  Read Dr. Mueller's comments...a new tld MUST be able to compete (be attractive)...Then if you read the posting by IPLAWYER he had the foresight to wrap this argument ---with the suggestion that whatever new TLD comes out that the TLD's should not be similiar...Therefore dot CO should not be approved as it could be confused with Dot Com...Example...Business.com and Business.co....Hopefully this settles that argument....

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy