Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cambler
Date/Time: Tue, July 11, 2000 at 2:48 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: Simple

CORE's pre-registrations were taken under the assumption that the IAHC plan would be enacted. It was not.

The firm in Singapore's claim is unsubstantiated. I strongly doubt that those 1 million pre-registrations are genuine. And, again, they are free to claim what they want. I would also point out that this company, which I'd not even heard of until today, is infringing on Image Online Design's first and prior use of .web. Finally, their expression of interest is not for the entirety of the .web TLD, but simply for 2 SLDs underneath .web - namely, com.web and per.web. Both of those names are registered with Image Online Design. I, personally, believe that the current registrants might be interested in partnering with this Singapore company, but that would be their choice.

Let me reiterate: The expression of interest by this firm in Singapore, notwithstanding their infringement, is NOT for a TLD, but for two second-level domains.

On the other hand, Image Online Design was specifically directed by IANA to take registrations (note: not pre-registrations) and prove the registry prior to its inclusion in the roots as per the Postel II draft.

Should CORE apply and be approved for one of its five non-contested TLDs, I would support that they are in a special situation where their pre-registrations should be included. I would suggest that they be frozen now and verified through ICANN.

I would also offer that Image Online Design would freeze .web registrations now and submit the list to ICANN for inclusion when .web is approved.

Between the two, the case is unique, and should be treated as such.

Christopher Ambler
Image Online Design, Inc.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy