Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: layman
Date/Time: Tue, July 11, 2000 at 3:02 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: No New TLDs, Several New TLDs, Dozens New TLDs, or Unlimited TLDs?

In order to meet the demands for those who want to register the domain names HARVARD.TLDs, how many TLDs are needed for every one to have such name? Just give me a number, 2, 200, 2000, or 2 million.
Please just give me a number that you believe will be enough. HELL, THERE IS NO WAY FOR ANYONE TO WANT TO REGISTER A DOMAIN NAME HE WANTS. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN FOREVER!!!!!

Do you guys think that more TLDs are introduced; there will be sufficient domain names available for anyone to register. That will not be happen. Regardless how many TLD names are added, the Business.uniqueTLD will not be there for any seconds after the activation of the new TLD. Period. The only domain names available are someone like MyTinyLadysShoeStoreInASmallTownInSouthernArkansas.anyTLD. This kind of domain names will be there for anyone to register under any TLD. Don't you agree? Take a look at domain names under .NET and .ORG.

All we have are the only four choices:

1. Do not do anything but keep .COM, .NET, .ORG, and .CC. Let
   the country codes to restrict the growth of the domain names.
2. Introduce a couple of new TLDs.
3. Introduce dozens or hundreds of new TLDs.
4. No limit of the number of TLDs.

There is no way to find a solution to satisfy everyone in the Internet community. But we must find a way to make most of us happy.

I suggest that the US congress (or UN? but i doubt the UN will be able to do anything good)take some actions to address the domain problems. It will be a disaster if we don’t do it right today. (Note: please don’t attack the US government. It was the US government that sponsored some institutions to have invented of the Internet. It is not perfect, but the better one).

Peace the Internet.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy