Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: bigtymer
Date/Time: Tue, July 11, 2000 at 3:36 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.73 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Well...

As I understand it, a court recently ruled that your claims of owning the .web gTLD are invalid (gTLDs cannot be trademarked or servicemarked), so I guess technically the Singapore company has just as much of a claim as you do. Let's recall that your recent lawsuit against CORE for "infringement" was thrown out based on the fact that gTLDs do not represent IP in this country. According to registrar in Singapore, they have a TM and SM in Singapore. This brings in the controversial subject of whose laws govern the internet. But that's a whole debate outside the scope of this forum.

And just as the IAHC plan was never enacted, IANA was shut down. ICANN was FORMED to take over the role previously assumed by IANA. ICANN was not a "transformation" of IANA. According to law, ICANN does not have any responsibility or obligation to recognize any agreements made by IANA. So it looks like you are in the same position as CORE.

I think your firm deserves a good opportunity to become the .web registry since you have shown a lot of hard work and dedication, and I wish you the best of luck, however we differ when it comes to preregistrations, and the decision now rests in the hands of those with power.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy