Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: vr
Date/Time: Fri, March 2, 2001 at 5:30 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.73 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: keep .org for general not-for-profit use

I registered a .org domain, redbird.org, as a permanent maildrop and Web location for myself and a few friends. At the moment, there are two people using this domain. It is in no sense a commercial operation. I could probably arrange non-profit organization status, or formally transfer the domain to an existing non-profit group. This would accomplish nothing except to increase the amount of paper on file somewhere.

I got spam email last week, urging me to "protect" my non-existent business by registering the .org and .net domains that matched my also-nonexistent .com domain. That's where the problem lies: not with the fact that I don't have the paperwork to be a 501(c)3 corporation, but with companies grabbing extra domains they're not entitled to.

I hold redbird.org. An ISP is redbird.net. There's a note on my main Web page pointing to them, for anyone who has come to my domain in error. This is all that's needed, where confusion exists, which isn't very often.

My suggestion would be to require anyone who holds domainname.com to prove that they should be allowed to register the matching .org domain. "People might get confused" isn't justification: those who play guess-the-URL will start with .com anyhow.

Leave the other .org domains alone. Revoking them would be disruptive, and accomplish no worthwhile purpose.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy