Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: mikesphar
Date/Time: Sat, March 3, 2001 at 6:09 AM GMT (Fri, March 2, 2001 at 10:09 PM PST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: .org was *never* intended solely for non-profit use

As many others have pointed out, more than one RFC explicitly states that .org is intended as a "Miscellaneous" domain for sites that don't meet the .com, .net, and .edu criteria.  Non-profit organizations are just *one* example of proper residents of .org.

It is completely unacceptable to suggest that I should be forced to give up my .org domain that I registered in good faith according to the terms of RFC 1591 and others.  It is also completely unacceptable that at some point I be expected to "Transition" to a new domain, requiring me to hunt down every person and site to whom I've sent my email address over the years and inform them of my new contact information.

It is *not* my problem that non-commercial organizations have been registering in .com, it is *not* my problem that people feel it or any other domains are being used inappropriately.  *I* have registered my .org domain appropriately and it is criminal to have some backroom dealmaking unceremoniously take my rightful property away from me.  If the domain registrars want to correct inappropriate domain registrations, then fine, they can do so, but not at the expense of those of us who registered our domains correctly in the first place.

Link: RFC 1591: Domain Name System Structure and Delegation

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy