[alac-forum] Domain Name Registrar Transfer Policy
  • To: <forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac-forum] Domain Name Registrar Transfer Policy
  • From: "Manfred Humphries" <manfred@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:10:14 -0800
  • Sender: <owner-alac-forum@xxxxxxxxx>

I recently was asked to re-instate a domain name for the owner, a musician
who has no expertise on the internet.

I was shocked to learn that I have no choice but to renew with the
registrar holding the expired domain,  Network Solutions Inc. despite the
fact that there are other registrars who would renew for less than half of
the usurious $34.95 extracted by Network Solutions.

Refusing to transfer the domain name despite the fact that the registrar is
no longer providing the service they contract to provide and which service
the domain owner does not wish that registrar to provide could be construed
as a form of extortion.  In effect, Network Solutions took control
and   ownership of the expired domain.  This maybe construed as conversion
or theft.

The customer service representative I spoke with told me that this is the
policy of ICANN.
Is this true?

Is ICANN going to rectify this potentially illegal activity, or will the
Courts  prove to be a more expeditious route to take?

Manfred Humphries,   NorthStar
324 St.Clements Ave
Toronto ON  M4R 1H5
(416) 964-1769

"Everyone has a perfect right to be totally wrong all the time"