URL Error trapped by Verisign
  • To: <forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: URL Error trapped by Verisign
  • From: "Jeff J" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:38:54 -0700

Greetings.
Normally i'm just a nice quiet rather contained web-enabled person.
I just spent 40 mintues in a phone call conference with 150 or so people.
I described a website for them to visit during this call.
A healthy percantage of them heard me with less than complete clarity
or had typing issues .... they kept getting the Verisign page and
telling me the
URL did not exist  - we had to shut off talkback and resume all as
listen only
which of course clobbered interaction.

They could have corrected the typo with an edit in the address bar , but
since it was being replaced by a rather loing verisign URL, they had
to repeatedly re-type the entire URL. ( the conference attendees were
anonymous - and the URL did not even exist until minutes before the meeting)

This will force our next meeting to require us to use webex/placeware
whatever which we avoid
( due to firewall , performance and download restrictions in various
situations )

Now i am no longer a quiet contained Web professional.
I am 100% totally agigated by this unwanted surprise in the basic workings
of a globally standard situation that i thought i could rely on.
This usurpation MUST STOP NOW.

Replacing a mis-typed URL with a verisgn URL forces anyone making such
an error
to have to remove the Verisgn URL and  re-type the entire line from
http:// onward.
I'm sure this unintended nasty byproduct of such stuff was not well
considered.
I appeal to you for corrective measures...

Regards,
Jeff Johnson
http://one-network.com

This email has been scanned for known viruses and made safe for viewing by
Half Price Hosting, a leading email and web hosting provider. For more
information on an anti-virus email solution, visit
<http://www.halfpricehosting.com/av.asp>.