Comments on Verisign redirection
  • To: <forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments on Verisign redirection
  • From: "Michael Bell" <mjb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:04:44 -0700

Jeff May posted this earlier in the OFFTOPIC forum. It is well put, and
coincides exactly with my opinion as well. Please post it.

thanks,
Michael Bell

Jeff May:

      I have just finished reading the IAB commentary on the effect of using
wildcards, obviously published in response to Verisign's decision to deploy
the technique.
      The action by Verisign bothered me from the outset, as it clearly
seems to be an abuse of its position as coordinator of the .com and .net
TLDs and raises serious privacy and conflict of interest issues.  After
reading the IAB comments which bring to light adverse technical consquences
of this practice that I hadn't even considered, it seems to me that ICANN
needs to take a far stronger stand to see that this behavior is stopped
immediately.

      Paul Twomey's advisory of September 19th clearly stated the widespread
objection of the internet community  to the practice and concern about the
effects it is having on the Domain Name System.  The response by Russell
Lewis, Executive VP of Verisign to Mr. Twomey's request that Verisign
suspend the practice pending review in which Lewis refuses to honor the
request calls into question the suitability of Verisign for such a position
of public trust.

      As an information technology professional I call on ICANN to take
immediate steps to halt this practice, implement policies to prevent
Verisign and other TLD coordination bodies from such abuses in the future,
and conduct a thurough inquiry into the future of Verisign's position as the
coordinator of the .com and .net TLDs.

      Personally, I would like to see Verisign stripped of its position.

      Jeff May.